Begin packing a couple of days before you move. Careful packing
pays by preventing breakage and loss of small and fragile items.
And moving time is a great time to weed out old, unwanted or unneeded
possessions. They only take up storage space.
Follow these simple packing tips, they will save you trouble, help
to your goods and make maximum use of the space in your storage
- Lay down plastic sheeting or a pallet between furniture and floor.
- Cover all furniture. Disassemble if possible.
- Wrap table legs with packing paper for scratch protection.
- Stack chairs "seat to seat" with cloth or paper
- When packing fragile items, pack larger items on the bottom. Separately wrap items with packing paper.
- Label your boxes for easier unpacking.
- Store important documents in file boxes.
- Pack books flat and fill any extra space to prevent movement.
- Defrost and dry large appliances before storing.
- Do not store flammable items such as fireworks, cleaning fluids, matches, acids, aerosol cans, ammunition, etc.
- Drain fuel from mowers and other machinery. Discard opened cans of paint, thinner, or other substances that may leak.
- Never store food or any other perishable goods.
- Have rugs and draperies cleaned. Leave the plastic on them when they come back from the cleaners.